In this blog post I am going to tell you what you need to start this business, the costs, and resources you need to successfully run this business. Gone are the days when you can just start this business inside your house, to start this business now you to plan very well and have a moderate capital.
If there is one assurance I can give to you its that you can always make good profit from this business when you apply good marketing techniques.
GETTING YOUR PURE WATER BUSINESS STARTED
I am giving out the complete breakdown of things you need to get your pure water business running in Nigeria. I would also like you to know that the figures here are hypothetical and may reflect another price range in reality.
SEE ALSO: HOW YOU CAN BECOME A COCA COLA DISTRIBUTOR
Now lets talk about setting up a medium size pure water production factory here in Nigeria.
1. MAP OUT YOUR BUSINESS PLAN: Before you write down any business plan ensure you have done a feasibility study regarding the business you want to start. Ensure your business plan or breakdown carefully outlines your marketing strategy, market research, cost analysis and recruitment plan.
Now should you not know what a business plan is, the author of wealthresult explains it as "a written document that includes all details of your pure water business startup and operational objectives and strategies. Startup and operating costs, marketing advertising and sales strategies, pricing and profit margins, supplier lists, insurance information and other topics are included to give you blueprint of your business."
2. GET A SPACE: Look for a cheap plot of land that will be suitable for your business, your pure water factory should be easily accessible if you wish to gain much customers.
If you are in Lagos for example I advise you get a piece of land somewhere around Ikorodu, but if you are in Ogun state Ijebu Ode is a nice location. But it is good you budget at least 1 million naira for land purchase.
3. CONSTRUCT YOUR SITE: You need to construct the structure that will house your treatment plant and equipment and even serve as your warehouse. It is advisable you floor the surrounding of your water factory. Thereafter you sink your borehole and erect your water tanks.
Erecting these structures may gulp 3 to 5 million naira.
4. PURIFICATION/DISTILLATION SYSTEM: Your purification system is the most important part of this business if you dont want to land into trouble with the authorities. Distillation is the most effective method you can use in water purification and can kill all gems in a contaminated water system. Distillation has to do with heating the water above boiling point so as to ensure all gems and parasites have been removed and the water becomes steam, the steam therefore goes through condensation process and is now safe for consumption.
If you can’t afford any of those, then go for Ultra Violet Filtration. It is the most commonly used in Nigeria by small to medium scale pure water makers. It cost very little compare to the others, less than N100,000
5. Automatic Sealing Machine – Another important equipment which is the engine of your production line is Automatic sealing machine. You need just one but if you are planning for a very high volume production, you will need like two or three but on a normal production, one is very okay.
The Koyo sachet water sealing machine can be purchased for N500,000 and it is very reliable.
6. GET A SUPPLY VEHICLE: You need to acquire a truck or any vehicle that easily help to supply your customers. Don't try to get a cheap fairly used car because supply of bags of water is a rigorous task and it needs a very sound vehicle. You can get a very sound HYAB truck for 2 million naira and I assure you this will give you value for your money.
SEE ALSO: HOW TO BECOME A CAR DEALER WITH JUST 1-2 CARS
RECRUITMENT: Besides knowing how to manage material resources you must be good at human resource management too.
Get 1 machine operator, 1 cleaner, 1 driver and his assistant, two packagers, and a security man.
A cashier would be good also, as you dont really need a manager.
8. NAFDAC APPROVAL – Last but not the least you need to have a certification that your water is safe for consumption, this actually the last step before you kickstart production. How is this done?
Start by going to the NAFDAC office to obtain and fill the relevant forms. The process will take you as much as three months and up to six months before you get the certificate.
The best thing you need to do now is to Download the Application Requirement. Read it and start following the procedures as outline. You are not going to produce nor sell until your production is approved
I must tell you that NAFDAC Approval is the most difficult of it all and take much times. N30,000 is the processing fee for sachet pure water.